The National Centre for Energy and Environment (NCEE) is one of the six research Centres under the Energy Commission of Nigeria. The Centre was established on March 12, 2009 with the appointment of the pioneer Director, Prof. Lawrence Ikechukwu Ezemonye. The Centre is charged with the responsibility of organizing and conducting research and development programmes in Bioenergy and Environment.
The establishment of the Centre was through the accent of the 2009 appropriation bill by the late President and Commander-in-Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Umaru Musa Yar’adua, GCFR. The Centre was officially commissioned on August 25, 2009 and the Administrative Block Complex was commissioned on August 30, 2012 by the DG/CEO, Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN) and Special Adviser to the President on Energy, Prof. Abubakar Sani Sambo FAS, OON, NPOM. The Centre is located within the Ugbowo campus of the University of Benin, Benin City.
What We Do
We shall promote sustainable, renewable energy sources through research and development initiatives in Bio-energy production and Environmental Forensics/Management.
We are charged with the responsibility of organizing and conducting Research and Development programs in Bio-energy and Environment.
The Centre shall be organized as a platform for promoting cutting-edge research and development and pioneer new renewable energy technology.
It shall serve as an aggressive medium to diversify energy sources, increase energy access, create new jobs, reduce the nation's dependency on fossil fuel, and promote the conservation of the environment.
FUNCTIONS OF THE CENTRE
- Identify and harness the potential for biomass energy research, production and technology transfer.
- Serve as a platform for environmental research initiatives in energy production,environmental forensics, eco-toxicology and stabilization of carbon emission.
- Serve as a centre for training of high level manpower in waste to energy(Bio-fuel, bio-gas and gene pool) research and technology.
- Develop and execute pilot projects, highlighting the potentials of bio-fuel production and waste to energy programmes.
- Facilitate networking, sharing knowledge, skills, information, and tools on Bio-energy research with stakeholders (policymakers, expert, industries, academics, regulators) through workshops, conferences, seminars, media chat etc.
- Charged with the responsibility of standardization,quality assurance and monitoring of R&D activities in bio-energy production.
- Encourage collaborative research with government institutes as well as industries with business and supply chain infrastructure, in order to accelerate next generation research and commercialization.
- Disseminate the findings of research and development through public awareness programmes such as seminars, conferences, workshops, publications etc.
- Perform any other function as may be directed by the Federal Government.