Ecotoxicology and Environmental Forensic is a research Unit of the National Centre for Energy and Environment. The Unit was created with the aim of providing a battery of biomarkers and safe limits for industrial chemicals and pesticides used in Nigeria. The Unit conducts empirical studies which involve field survey and laboratory experimentation. Ecotoxicological trials which involves short-term (acute) and long-term (sub chronic) exposures are conducted using whole effluent toxicity testing, toxicity identification evaluation/toxicity reduction evaluation, dredged material testing, solid waste leachates testing, sediment and soil toxicity testing, water effect ratio studies, water quality testing.
We also conduct chemical trace analysis, elemental trace analysis, industrial and municipal wastewaters analysis and industrial plant environmental monitoring and safety. Studies are designed to assess the biological effects of organic and inorganic contaminants using amphibians/reptiles, fish, aquatic and terrestrial invertebrates (e.g. zooplankton, insects, snails, and earthworms), phytoplankton, aquatic and terrestrial vascular plants to determine effects on survival, growth, development and reproduction.
To determine, predict and prevent the associated effects and risks of contaminants and develop strategies for monitoring them
To identify the source and fate of toxic substances in the environment
To work with federal, state and local stakeholders to identify ways to reduce ecological risks while protecting public health
The specific functions of the unit takes its root from the Centre's mandate and are as follows:
- To develop approach for screening dominant risk stressors
- To document environmental degraded sites in Niger Delta Region
- To evaluate and monitor polluted waters
- To conduct hazard and risk assessment of contaminants
- To conduct ecotoxicological trials and environmental criteria for new chemicals.
- To disseminate research findings
The research focus of the ecotoxicology and environmental forensic unit is to determine:
- Ecosystem modelling
- Bioavailability and bioaccumulation
- Toxicities of organic/inorganic chemicals
- Aquatic/Terrestrial Ecotoxicology
- Environmental Change and Wildlife Health
- Biodiversity and Endocrine disruption/biological effects of Chemical pollutants (pesticides, petroleum, industrial contaminants, pharmaceuticals)
- Source, fate and effects of toxic and emerging contaminants in the environment
- Sediment & Terrestrial Toxicity
- Ecotoxicological Effects of Persistent Toxic Substances
Enter projects here
The laboratory has conducted ecotoxicity studies and prepared ecological risk assessments for State, Federal Agencies and Industry. Some of our ongoing projects include:
- Toxicity Bioassays and Pollution Characterization of Storm water Runoff Samples from Four Different Catchment Areas in Benin City
- Ecotoxicological Assessment of Leachate from Dumpsites in Benin City
- Heavy Metal Assessment of Borehole Water in University of Benin and Benin City Metropolis
- Assessment of Toxicity Test of Water-Soluble Fractions of Biodiesel and Biodiesel/Diesel Blends on Fish and Allium cepa
Some projects completed by the unit include:
- Preliminary Assessments of Hydro-Power Potentials of Selected Rivers in Edo State, Nigeria
- Environmental and Health Implications of Biomass Driven Cottage Industries in Benin City, Edo State
- Dr. Emmanuel Temiotan Ogbomida, B.Sc. Zoology(Benin), MSc Ecology and Environmental Biology(Ibadan), Ph.D Ecotoxicology and Pollution Studies (Benin)
Research Interests: Ecotoxicology and Environmental Forensics, Ecological Risk Assessment, Natural Resources Conservation,
Pollution Studies and Environmental Management, Ecological Risk Assessment of Chemicals.
- Mr Igiogbe Aganmwonyi, B.Sc Zoology (Benin), M.Sc Environmental Quality Management (Benin)
Research Interests: Hydrobiology,Ecotoxicological impacts of organic and inorganic pollutants in freshwater ecosystem,
- Mrs Iriagbonse Priscilla Fasipe, B.Sc Zoology (Benin),M.Sc Marine Ecology and Environmental (London)
Research Interests: Pollution Studies and Environmental Management,Marine Ecotoxicology.
- Mr Nasiru Oyedeji, BTech Geology(Minna)
Research Interests: Vertical Electrical Sounding techniques in Hydrogeological Investigations, Groundwater Pollution.